Overall, the breast is made of three different layers: the skin, the mammary gland and the pectoral muscle sitting over the ribs. During a breast augmentation, the implant can either be placed over the pectoral muscle or over it. The implants placement must take the patient’s objectives and body type into consideration. Typically, thin and skinny patients get better results by placing the implants under this muscle. The extra cover provided by the pectoral muscle hides the implants contours well, especially in the upper pole / cleavage area. If you’ve been thinking about breast augmentation in Tunisia and looking for a breast surgery specialist, Dr Balti can assess your needs and suggest a tailored procedure. You can in touch with him through the contact page of the website for more information about breast augmentation. Here’s what you need to know about breast implants placement.
‘Over the muscle’ placement : benefits
- The procedure is quicker and less painful afterwards
- The implants don’t move when the pectoral muscles contract
- This position can correct mild breast sagging
- The recovery is quicker, patients can resume work sooner
- Allows larger volume increases
- Easier to create roundness by positioning the implants close to the center of the breasts
During the procedure, Dr.Balti arranges a pocket between the pectoral muscle and breast tissue to insert and secure the implants.
‘Under the muscle’ placement : benefits
- The cleavage area looks a lot more natural because tissue thickness covers the upper pole of the implants
- A significant volume increase is possible for very slim patients with a natural result thanks to this placement
- Lower risk of rippling of the implants
- Combines well with breast lift (mastopexy)
- Lower risk of implants shifting over time
During the procedure, Dr Balti arranges a pocket under the pectoral muscle to cover the implant. Depending on what type of result you expect, you will be guided and advised to make the right choice for you.