Lymphatic drainage : who is for ?
Lymphatic drainage massages are not only beneficial to patients after surgery. Considering its many benefits, individuals feeling sick, tired, lethargic or lacking energy can benefit from this massage.
Athletes who sustained an injury can also resort to lymphatic drainage to improve recuperation and healing. Patients who were operated on and individuals with fibromyalgia or other conditions causing severe pain can benefit from draining massages as well, because they accelerate circulation of substances such as proteins, wastes, water and toxins. Lymphatic draining massages help draining fluids and freeing lymphatic vessels to decrease pain and swelling.
How long is lymphatic draining massage ?
Depending on the area to treat, a lymphatic draining massage can be 30 to 90 minutes long. According to specialists, the first massage session should be 60 minutes long to stimulate the lymphatic flow. If the massage target more than one body limb, it should be 90 minutes long. However, your cosmetic surgeon will recommend an adapted course of postoperative care depending on your body’s response to treatment.
Benefits of lymphatic drainage after cosmetic surgery
Lymphatic drainage is an excellent method to stimulate certain areas where fluids accumulate. Additionally, these massages have other benefits for the body and the recovery after surgery:
- Stimulation of the immune system and improvement of blood circulation
- Decreases postoperative swelling and pain
- Suppression of anaesthesia and medication used during surgery from the system
- Skin hydration
- Purification of the lymphatic system and removal of excess fluid
- Relieving stress and fatigue
- Relieving pain with soft massages
- Reducing the appearance of scars and tissue regeneration in the incision sites
- Reduced recovery and wound healing time
As we can see, lymphatic drainage massages offer many benefits. This treatment helps the body decrease swelling by removing wastes and proteins accumulating in certain regions of the body.