Typically, when it is performed alone, the eyelid lift, or blepharoplasty, is a 20 to 60 minutes cosmetic procedure depending on the number of eyelids to be treated (2 or 4) and the extent of the corrections planned. The surgery can be performed under general anesthesia or local anesthesia coupled with sedation. If your eyelids are burdened with excess skin or fat pockets, you can schedule your blepharoplasty in Tunisia to benefit from Dr.Balti’s 12 years of experience with this surgery and lower costs.
The eyelid lift technique
The corrections made by the surgeon have to be extremely precise to avoid an unnatural result, as small alterations around the eyes area can significantly change their appearance. Incisions are hidden in the natural folds :
- Upper eyelids : the incision is hidden in the fold located between the moving part of the eyelid and the fixed portion sitting on top of it.
- Lower eyelids : when excess skin has to be removed, the incision is made 1 millimeter under the eyelash line, it can extend longer in order to treat crows feet. When fat pockets are overloading the lower eyelids with no excess skin, a trans-conjunctival approach can be used (the incision is made inside the eyelid) to remove excess fat and avoid any visible incision.
Other cosmetic procedures combine very well with the eyelid lift
- Fat grafting : which harvests fat from the patient’s own fat deposits to fill in hollowed areas of the face?
- Palpebral fold : Asian patients often request the blepharoplasty surgery to create this natural fold (most Asian do not have a naturally occurring palpebral fold) that adds definition to the eyes.
- Eye reshaping : the procedure can also be used to give an almond shape to the eyes when they have a ‘sad’ appearance or to tighten the lower eyelid in case of ectropion.
Fat herniations as well as excess skin can be removed this way. Sutures are made with very thin threads, they are usually non-resorbable, which means they have to be removed a couple of days into the recovery.