There are solutions to dark circles around the eyes, but the first thing to do is to consult a professional to determine if the problem is indeed dark circles and not another issue such as excess skin in the lower eyelid caused by skin laxity and fat accumulation in this area. Treatments differ for these two concerns, which is why it is important to examine the eyes closely. Medical treatments aim at improving pigmentation and hollows caused by dark circles. These treatments include :
- Chemical peels specifically formulated to treat the eyes area. Depigmenting acids can be applied in the area to stimulate cell renewal.
- Filler injections can be performed to correct dark circles directly and quickly, without surgery. The product used will depend on the depth cause of dark circles. Filler products are specifically chosen for the eyes areas where skin is very delicate and thin.
- Mesotherapy contributes to skin hydration and cell renewal in this region.
Once dark circles are treated, local treatments can be used to maintain the result. Sun protection is important since UV rays stimulate melanin production, which causes darkening of circles around the eyes. Cosmetic products have to be chosen carefully. Characteristics to look for in these products include :
- Vascularization improvements
- Depigmenting action
- Hydrating and antioxidative effect
- Decongestive effect and blood flow stimulation
Manual lymphatic drainage helps permeabilize and drain the area. The effect of esthetic medicine treatments combined with cosmetic creams can be observed after a period of approximately 3 months. Healthy habits are also very impactful on the appearance of the eyes area :
- Sleeping 6 to 8 hours a day
- Balanced and diversified diet with plenty of vitamine K (which promotes healthy arteries and blood vessels)
- Avoiding excessive salt intake (which causes fluid retention)
- Drinking plenty of water to avoid fluid retention and improve hydration
- Avoiding alcohol consumption and smoking as these toxic substances affect microcirculation
- Sleeping with your head slightly elevated to help fluid drainage around the eyes.