The breasts are a symbol of femininity, but certain defects and imperfections can be detrimental to their appearance such as asymmetrical and overly large areolas.
A source of concern for women
Breast areola imperfections, especially when they are excessively large, are fairly common. These defects can develop during certain periods of a woman’s life and require specific corrections which can be part of a comprehensive breast treatment.
What causes breast areola defects ?
Multiple factors can cause defects in the areolas.
- In most cases, the breasts develop from adolescence with an imperfection.
- Weight gain in the breasts also causes the areolas to distend. When the breast is to heavy, it pulls on the areola and distorts it.
- For the same reasons, pregnancy can alter the appearance of the areolas.
Which corrections are possible ?
The normal dimension of the areola is 3 to 5 centimeters. If the areola exceeds these dimensions, the appearance of the breasts may suffer. Correcting excessively large or asymmetrical areolas requires a tailored procedure that can reshape this delicate area.
The round block technique
In order to improve the appearance of an overly large areola, surgeons can use the round block technique. </p<
- This method aims at reducing the circumference of the areolas.
- The procedure is performed under general anesthesia.
- It can be performed as an outpatient surgery.
Benefits of the procedure
The round block can target specific areas of the areola to correct dimensions and lift up sagging or deformed areolas. Decreasing the size of excessively large areolas can restore harmony in the breasts. Scars are very subtle or hidden.The patient regains self esteem and confidence after surgery.